Border bridge

  • Historic site and monument
  • Historic patrimony
  • 19th C
  • 15th C
  • 18th C
Ancienne frontière Paganin, 06540 Fontan
This building replaces a first bridge built in the middle of the 15th century by the general salt gabelier, to whom the Duke of Savoy grants the monopoly of this precious commodity in exchange for the construction and maintenance of the road and bridges.
Expanded during the construction of the Royal Road in 1780, this bridge was later built. It became a border bridge in 1860 when the county of Nice became French again, it was destroyed by the Germans in April 1945 and rebuilt in 1946. After the reunification of Tende and La Brigue with France on September 16, 1947, their inhabitants seal a plaque indicating: "By the will of the populations of Tende and Brigue France no longer ends here."

Openings

Openings

All year 2025 - Open everyday

Location

Location

Border bridge
Ancienne frontière Paganin, 06540 Fontan

Spoken languages

Spoken languages
  • French
Updated on 18 July 2022 at 16:08
by Office de Tourisme Menton, Riviera & Merveilles
(Offer identifier : 4966545)
Report mistake