Remains of Saint Georges Castle

  • Historic site and monument
  • Historic patrimony
  • Fortified castle
  • Ruins and remains
  • 11th C
  • 14th C
  • 17th C
06540 Saorge
It is the main defensive structure, which faces the Mallemort castle on the right bank of the Roya. Of medieval origin, the site was modernised in the late seventeenth c. and in the eighteenth c. before being dismantled in the nineteenth c.
The first inhabitants of the place, refugees on this rocky nipple, defend themselves by rolling the stones, which is worth to the Saorgians the nickname of Rubata Baoussi, those who make the stones roll.
A deed passed to Genoa in 1157 mentions the castrum Saurcium.
In 1258, the Counts of Ventimiglia sold their fiefs from the Roya to the Count of Provence. The Vintimille de Tende did not recognize the surrender and seized the castle, but were quickly driven out by the Provençals. Locked...
Openings
All year 2024 Open everyday
Location
Remains of Saint Georges Castle
06540 Saorge
Spoken languages
  • French
Updated on 11 August 2022 at 16:35
by Office de Tourisme Menton, Riviera & Merveilles
(Offer identifier : 4973985)
Report mistake
Report mistake
Thanks. Your message has been sent.
Une erreur est survenue lors de l'envoi du formulaire.
Close